SERVICE ABOVE SELF
The Rotary Club of Salem is the largest and oldest Rotary Club in the area, organized in 1919 by a small group of business and professional men who met above Giles’ Wholesale Fruit Store at south High and Trade Streets. The Rotary Club of Salem was the 306th club formed in the world.
Today, with almost 200 male and female members, the club is friendly, spirited and active with multiple committees that give us ample and diverse opportunities to pursue our passion for community service.
The object of Rotary is to encourage and foster the ideal of service as a basis of worthy enterprise and in particular to encourage and foster:
- The development of acquaintance as an opportunity for service.
- High ethical standards in business and professions; the recognition of the worthiness of all useful occupations; and the dignifying by each Rotarian of his/her occupation as an opportunity to serve society.
- The application of the ideal of service by every Rotarian to personal, business, and community life.
- The advancement of international understanding, goodwill, and peace through a world fellowship of business and professional men and women united in the ideal of service.
- Fellowship, both social and business, through the network of members in this club and other clubs throughout the world (33,000 clubs).
- Self-satisfaction through participation in good works for this community, your avocation, this club and the world (eradication of Polio project).
- Opportunities for rewarding experiences both locally and internationally to meet and provide service to others (hosting exchange students, scholarships, clean water projects, Group Study Exchanges, Group Fellowship Exchanges).
GET IN TOUCH